Gulf Breeze FL Sports Dentistry
One of the best ways to prevent injury to your child's teeth and mouth is to have him or her to wear a mouthguard while playing sports. Dr. Barrineau is an authorized provider of Under Amour Mouthpieces and can help you choose the best one for your child's particular needs.
Dr. Barrineau became a Under Armour Mouthpiece dealer soon after product launch and has been helping athletes in Pensacola, Gulf Breeze and surrounding areas improve their athletic performance with great results.The science behind the Under Armour mouthpiece involves minimizing the excess production and release of hormones that occurs when an athlete clenches their jaw. These hormones, such as cortisol, produce stress, fatigue and distraction and often impede athletic efforts.
Under Armour Performance Mouthwear is an innovative mouthguard scientifically designed to improve athletic performance. While reducing the effect of impacts to the jaw, it can also help any athlete improve strength, endurance, reaction time and can also reduce athletic stress.
The Under Armour mouthguard is built after Dr. Barrineau takes a specialized impression of the athlete’s bite. The impression is then sent to a lab, and when the mouthpiece is made, Dr. Barrineau fits it into the athlete’s mouth.
The Under Armour Mouthpiece has been used by Olympic and Collegiate athletes as well as by professional competitors. The same technology that high level competitors use to enhance and improve their athletic performance can also help “weekend warriors” in their sporting activities. Even people that regularly work out can achieve higher levels of athletic performance by using the Under Armour Performance Mouthpiece.
Sports dentistry is the prevention and treatment of dental injuries and related oral diseases, as well as the sharing of information and equipment designed to help protect the teeth, mouth, jaw, and face of athletes of all ages. Injuries to the teeth and mouth are common among athletes. It's important to protect your child's smile if he or she plays sports, for aesthetics as well as health reasons.
Common Dental Injuries in Sports
Tooth knocked out:
- Time is the most important factor when trying to save a tooth, so get to your dentist as soon as possible. In general, there is a 30-minute window of opportunity to re-implant the tooth in the socket.
- Do not try to re-implant the tooth yourself.
- The best liquid to transport a tooth in is cold milk. If milk is not available, use saliva (if possible), saline, or if nothing else is available, water.
- Don't let the tooth dry out and don't wrap it in anything.
- Don't touch the tooth root if you can avoid it.
- Your dentist will likely use an X-ray of the tooth to determine the treatment necessary.
- For a serious chip that exposes the pulp of the tooth, get to your dentist as soon as possible.
- If a tooth is chipped or cracked, sometimes the tooth can be fixed with a filling or bonding alone.
- Sometimes a tooth is cracked or chipped in a way affecting the nerve of the tooth, and a more complicated treatment may be needed.
- If a tooth is moved due to trauma, see your dentist as soon as possible.
- Do not try to move the tooth back on your own.
- For any mouth discomfort before you get to the dentist, apply ice.